Absent from your bedtime story
Late from work again
But while you were fast at slumber
I quietly tiptoed in
Sweet lullabies were playing
In your decorated room
Teddy bears romping through your dreams
Soothing as a womb
Before I even saw your face
A feeling rushed right through
I’m your daddy and protector
Watching over you
Upon your little mattress
Lying motionless
Arms high above your head
So cute, words can’t express
I listened for your breath to come
A sign your doing fine
Caressed your baby fingers
Putting your hand in mine
To the lullabies I hummed along
So many rang a bell
They reminded me of grandma
My eyes then started to well
If God were to let me comprehend
The love inside my heart
The knowledge of such miracle
This man would surely fall apart
Hair still damp from bath time
Cheeks so rosy red
Tuckered out from playing hard
My beautiful sleepyhead
Goodnight my darling daughter
I hope all your dreams come true
Just wanted to whisper in your ear
How much your daddy loves you
Michelle Hix
11/2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you Kat
I need to be more patient (especially since people are reading my stuff). I just get an inspiration and throw it up here and then the next day I usually look at it and go "yuck I wrote that?" And then I'll get out the thesaurus and pretty it up a bit! :)
Post a Comment