Circumstances had it so that I was able to spend the evening alone tonight...well, just me and Jane Austen that is. It is still raining. I climbed into my most comfortable pair of sweats and sank down into my pillows with anticipation. Tonight's feature...Becoming Jane.
I'm still smiling. If you are an Austen fan, this is a must see. The inspiration for her masterpieces come to life on the screen. It tells the story of her desire to marry for love...an impractical and absurd thing to do in the late 1700s. While her parents want her to marry for the absolute necessity of money and tell her that nothing destroys spirit like poverty, Jane falls for a poor student of law whom she despises at first because of his arrogance. Their bickering leads of course to frustration, which then leads to, well, I don't want to spoil it. But let's just say that to be together means they have to risk everything...they must risk everything for love...but do they?
I found myself clapping spiritedly several times throughout the movie, and of course tears welled each time love prevailed and laughter followed when Jane speaks of irony. But now I must go to bed...it is almost midnight...my body is confused, it is telling my brain that it wants to drink coffee and go for a run...but I must force my eyes closed. Last night I was awake almost the whole night, listening to the rain in a most melancholic state. Tonight's plan is to sleep.
My favorite quotes from the movie:
Tom Lefroy: How can you, of all people, dispose of yourself without affection?
Jane Austen: How can I dispose of myself with it?
Mrs. Austen: JANE!
Lady Gresham: What is she doing?
Mr. Wisley: Writing.
Lady Gresham: Can anything be done about it?
Tom Lefroy: What value will there ever be in life, if we aren't together?
Jane Austen: Cassie, his heart will stop at the sight of you, or he doesn't deserve to live. And, yes, I am aware of the contradiction embodied in that sentence.
Tom Lefroy: Was I deficient in rapture?
Jane Austen: In consciousness!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I watched it several times and each time note something new - Gosh what she accomplished without really coming to full fruition in her own life..??
I enjoyed the movie as well. I recently channel surfed into Pride and Prejudice and had to hush my family away for the next few hours.
Post a Comment