Friday, May 16, 2008

As I See It

This morning I read that humans share all but 1/100 of 1% identical genetic sequences. That means, obviously, that we are sequenced genetically more than 99.9% the same.

I got to thinking about this and the same thing kept entering my mind. Does that mean that in that 1/100 of 1%, all of our differences must lie...our prejudice, our hate, our difference in opinions, our war and violence? Those things are all wrapped up in less than 1% of what makes us a human? Wow. Okay, yeah wow.

So if I completely recognize and focus on the other 99.9% of me that is genetically the same as you...what does that world look like? Wow. Yeah, that sounds like a cool place to live. A place where I am fully cognisant of how connected I am to each person walking by me. Wouldn't that make me more likely to cherish and celebrate mine and my brother's differences more than fight over them?

Cool.

Really cool.

I'm going to Starbucks to think about this further...

11 comments:

Miss Caught Up said...

I once read that they can trace all humans' microcondria back to Eve (or what ever Eve was).

That would conclude that we're all pretty connected, then :)

Thinking Sage said...

that means that I am damn glad that everyone is a little different than me!!!
whew
thatd be a fubar looking bunch if they werent!

Graham Ettridge said...

I'm not sure the world to cope with more than one of me. I wouldn't wish that on anybody...lol!

I'm kinda glad that we are all different, but I agree that people should sometimes focus on similarities rather than differences. If we did that, we might see the end to the fighting around the world.

I hope you are well and wish you a lovely weekend!!! ~ Graham :)

EatPlayLove said...

Aren't those statistics mind boggling. Did the starbucks help? lol!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I would need Starbucks and perhaps a professor to think about this further.

Sandy Kessler said...

fabul;ous post fodder for the day

Elise said...

Its quite freaky thinking about it...

Everybody else is 99% like me. What a scary thought!

xx

Cocaine Princess said...

After reading that post, it gave me a lot to think about!

XOXOXOXO,
Cocaine Princess

Anonymous said...

George Bush is NOT 99% like me, no way, its not true, its a conspiracy by the left wing liberal haters, God made him different than the rest of us...

Anonymous said...

What an interesting post!

AngelConradie said...

so did you come up with anything at starbucks?