Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Leaving a Legacy

With Mother's Day approaching, I've been thinking about the most important things I hope that I am exemplifying for my children and teaching them. These are things my mom passed down to me that I hope to instill in my darlings.

-Be dependable, someone that can be counted on
-Never be indifferent to racism or injustice
-Be a good friend to someone
-Risk everything for love…it is worth it
-See things through to the end
-Read…a lot
-Sing...a lot
-Experience cultures other than your own
-Share your life with the people around you
-Try scary things
-Do things because you can, because others may not be able to
-Take responsibility for your neighbor
-War is never the answer
-Hate racism
-Use your anger and frustration to change things you don’t like
-Discover what it means to be human
-Be honest, especially when it’s difficult
-Trust your instincts and your intuition; they are strong and good for a reason
-Know that there is something bigger than you out there; it’s not always about you
-Be the person who brings out the best in others
-Let the miracle of nature startle you every day
-Laugh at yourself
-Command respect for yourself by being respectful
-Practice tolerance and acceptance of those who are different from you
-Enjoy differences in people
-Go out of your way to say thank you
-Listen with your heart first

3 comments:

Sweets said...

and... have no regrets!

that is a fantastic list, i wish and hope and pray that i can get all of that stuff built into my kids lives, that indeed would leave a legacy!

sandyland said...

I enjoyed this post immensely

AngelConradie said...

oh wow... if i could instill half of that list in my damien i'd be happy!