Yesterday Mark and I had planned to go to the garden and home show in Denver. But plans changed and oldest child is out of town so younger child and I decided to hop on over to the new burrito place for a late lunch. The new burrito place, which shall remain nameless for now, has only been open for 2 days. Here's what's on the menu at the burrito place.
1. baby burrito
2. mama burrito
3. big daddy burrito
4. chips
I order the bay leaf chicken burrito and ask for lots of hot salsa since the chicken contains no spice whatsoever. As the confused burrito chick, who, by the way, has clearly spent an inconsequential amount of time bathing this week, concentrates on making my burrito, I see the look of confusion switch to horror as she places what we are calling "chicken" on my tortilla. Now the look on my face is starting to match the look on her face. And what happened next is no laughing matter. What happened next is the reason I have spent the better part of the last 25 years having to talk myself into being a meat eater. What happened next is
Burrito chick: (yelling to the manager in that "fire, fire" voice) Steve!!!!!!! Come here!
Steve the manager: This is where I would insert Steve's brilliant comment, except he never came running when she yelled for him.
Me: (oh dear God just finish the burrito already and quit playing with it)
Burrito chick: (leaves burrito station and runs to the back room, then returns with a new happier look on her face and plucks two chunky things off my burrito and tosses them in the trash.) Then says "what else would you like on your burrito today?"
Me: Um....okay...no...um...I'm sorry...what...um....yeah...what did you just throw away?
Burrito chick: (in a really pleasant I just wiped my butt with your burrito voice) Oh, thaaaaat? Oh that was just a tail. (silly me right?)
Me: Oh, just a tail? Okay...um...yeah...right...who's tail?
Burrito chick: The chicken's tail. (silly me again) Sometimes the whole back end gets chopped up in there on accident. (oopsy daisy) Did you want me to start over with a fresh tortilla?
Me: WTF????????????????
Me: WTF????????????????
Me: WTF????????????????
Me: Um...yes...yeeeaaaahhhh...start over would ya...oh and let's go for the other chicken...the one over there...it looks like the tail is much more ground up in that one.
Burrito chick: Ooohhh, good idea (in the "anything for the customer" voice)
Now, while this is happening, the girl in line behind me, horrified as well, has her "anything but the chicken" burrito planned out. But then she lets her mom order the "tail" special!!!! Some daughter!
Now, I know what you are thinking...why didn't I leave and go to Subway? I guess I just didn't have the heart to tell my daughter the truth and so we enjoyed our bootylicious burritos and left.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Um...chickens don't HAVE tails. I'm thinking it may have been something of the rodent variety...sorry...
Wow, I would've left. Because if there was a tail, I don't think it was a chicken.
Another reason I NEVER order chicken at restaurants!!! You need to tell me where I should avoid!
Haaaaaaaaaa
chicken tail???????????
what kind of chicken was that??
YUUUUUUUCK! Next time.. no.. NO NEXT TIME... YUUUUUUCK! LoL!
Start over with a clean tortilla?!
WTF WTF
Tail?!
WTF WTF
I'm not really one for burrito's... I don't think I'll ever have one again! xx
Jen - You are probably right and you will know which place I'm talking about when you drive by it.
Jeff - well, this is a first...a guy turning down a little tail?
Fran - Apparently the one in FC is to die for! (I bet you've been there) But the one down here is well...a little "behind" on training and "hind" sight is 20/20...haha
Southern Sage - I'm thinking it was not of the "fowl" type but more the "foul" type.
Damama - You don't have to tell me to keep my butt out of there.
Elise - Yeah...I'm sure if her boss could have heard her say that he would have gotten his feathers a little ruffled!
Kat - Exactly my thought!!! I don't eat red meat and chicken has made it's way in and out of my diet over the years. This pretty much cured my craving.
Ha, clever. I like you
a chicken has a tail, it's small but it's there... that is gross, i would not have been able to eat that...argh
I'm speechless. But I really enjoyed this story.
I've read several of your posts and I'm pretty darned speechless about most of them. This one included. And yet... I felt I must comment and TELL you that I was speechless... The other one that left me going "hmmmmm..." was the menstrual blood one. WTF? I think I may leave a comment there too.
WTF? is right!!I guess I know where NOT to get my next Burrito. So much for a good work day lunch spot
for you. Thanks again for including Linda and I in the fun.
Dear Anonymous...
I cracked up laughing when I read your comment because I can't even imagine you saying wtf...haha. You are now privy to all my bad habits on this blog. I've been tempted to blog about our latest issues that happen to be consuming all of our happy little families lately but have decided that I better not go there!
omg I'm never eating another chicken burrito ever from anywhere. ever.
EEEEEEEEEHHHH!!!!
Your story gave me another reason to stay home and cook!
Post a Comment