I used to be obsessed with Absolutely Fabulous in the early 90's. Thank heaven for youtube so I can relive every episode!
Edina Monsoon and Patsy Stone are the Lucy and Ethel of British Television...I would describe their behavior as outrageously hilarious. They are two substance-abusing fashion and fad-obsessed Londoners who value fame and style over substance (unless they are controlled substances). Saffron, Edina's daughter, is the sanity in her mother's world. Edina and Saffy live in a house in Holland Park...Patsy is there most of the time and Patsy and Saffy can't stand each other.
The program revolves around Eddy's ongoing struggle to achieve fame, success and a slender figure amidst the disapproval of her daughter and the constant presence of her increasingly senile mother. Patsy is always at her side encouraging the behaviors that are constantly causing her conflict. Much of the comedy of the show is physical, usually derived from Edina and Patsy's drunken and/or stoned states, with their favorite drinks being Bolly Stolly (a cocktail of Bollinger champagne and Stolichnaya vodka) and later Veuve & Bourb (a mix of Veuve Clicquot champagne and bourbon) or Dom & Bom (a mix of Dom Perignon champagne and Bombay Sapphire gin). The mutual loathing between Saffy and Patsy, as each tries to guide Edina's behaviour, also makes for many comic situations. A recurring gag found new ways for Edina to fall headfirst out of cars, windows, or down her kitchen stairs at least once every series.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hello Michelle,
Thanks again for letting me know about you know what. Someone else might have taken advantage and/or exploited the situation. I will always be forever grateful to you.
I love Brit-sitcoms. AB/FAB is hilarious. I also love Keeping Up Appearances which is my favorite.
Take care sweet girl.
Love,
CP
Princess
You are very welcome regarding you know what! ha ha I have to admit that it worries me for your safety a bit...your fans are a little bit different than mine...oh wait, I don't have any fans. But some of yours are a little bit crazy. I am totally going to youtube Keeping Up Appearances...I've never seen it but it looks good.
Michelle
Michelle you will always have one fan, ME!!
Keeping Up Appearances, I think you will like it.
I LOVE AB FAB! Well, loved it, I haven't seen it in ages. I have a dear friend that lives in London and sent me an AB FAB card once for my birthday (with sound effects)..I still cherish it!
Hey Michelle,
I totally agree with you! AbFab is such a great piece of British Comedy. I was lucky enough to bump into Joanna Lumley(Patsy) last year when I was in London - she is a lovely lady, and so funny.
I'm so glad that some of this humour does actually work over the pond.
Sorry I haven't been around much recently. I have missed you lots!!!
Graham
I know what you mean...I've been a little preoccupied myself and haven't been visiting many blogs.
That is so cool that you met Patsy. That show was brilliant!
Thanks for stopping by...I'll be over this weekend sometime to visit...I hope you are doing well and that the sale of your photo ended your week better than it started.
Oh my gosh! I love Ab Fab! I still try to catch it on cable. The BBC had some newer episodes recently.
Post a Comment