Wednesday, April 16, 2008

#1 Mom Super Power? Ability to Forget That You Too, Must Be Fed

Tuesdays are somewhat crazy around here each week. We've not yet completed homework and we have swim team. After two hours of sitting in a humid building watching the girls wear themselves out dolphin style we shower, run to the car and head for the library. We always have books to return and there's this weird little voice in my head that says "must check out more" whenever I return books. Does it matter that they stack up on my front seat? Does it matter that I can't find my alarm clock some mornings because it is hidden under library books? Does it matter that we have books on stairs and books in bathrooms and books under couches? Apparently not, until the automated library lady calls me and says "This-is-the-Coll-ege-Hill-Li-brar-y-Call-ing"..."you-have-"6" books-o-ver-due"..."to-list-them-by-ti-tle, press-one". I'm trying to establish some plan of keeping the books on one level of the house or maybe contained to a section of the house or maybe making the kids wear them on their heads for good posture while not reading them so that we don't lose track of them. I'll let you know how that goes.

By the time we leave the library, it is quite late and everyone is in the .... "mooooom, I'm staaaarrrrving to death" mode. So in an effort to simplify my life, Tuesdays is also our eat out night. Let me define eat out. Eat out means we are running by King Soopers and picking up deli chicken to go. So this week, standing at the deli I am calculating how many pieces and which type of chicken and who wants what and so forth. I know, it's a tough job...bite me. When we get home I plop some "Chicken Not Made By Me" and side dishes onto plates (I bet you thought I made them eat it out of the bag huh?) and say "eat up"! My oldest daughter looks at me in confusion, which I don't notice because, well, everyone looks at me that way. "Mom"?, she says..."What are you going to eat?" Oops.

9 comments:

jeff said...

Haha, my mom had at one point one hell week after another. 6 kids, 4 of them in soccer, 1 only a year old, practices spread throughout the week, games on saturday. Private school was 20 minutes away so it took about an hour to pick us up. Haha, your blog just reminded me of what my mom used to do. I don't know how moms do it, I am in awe of their superpowers.

Anonymous said...

We survive off of righteousness and red wine. And the food left over when the kids decide they're not hungry after all. ; )

Michelle Hix said...

Jeff...6 of you? I imagine you were a handful just all by yourself...smart kids always are!

EatPlayLove said...

I keep the little library slip on a clip on the inside of the front door. That way I can gather up all those books that wind up in the darndest places!

I like this, no cooking on Tuesday thing. That's usually the night I call the hubby and tell him, I am not cooking!

Elise said...

Oh Michelle!

I've forgotten my phone in a rush. Forgotten my key in the front door when I've been drunk.

But I have nver forgotten my food!xx

Anonymous said...

You get a 6.8 but the russian judge gives a 4.3 -what a disappointment

Michelle Hix said...

4.3? Clearly he sneezed during the mount...I've never seen a tighter rotation either...oh well.

Sweets said...

hehe so true!

good luck supermom!!

AngelConradie said...

ah, supermom indeed! subconsciously watching her weight, attending after school activities AND keeping a love of books instilled in the kidlets! i am very impressed!!!