So last night I was discussing with my mother, my fears about raising my kids in this economy and in this America that I grew up in. I personally have never known first hand what it means to be disadvantaged in any way. Although times were tough when I was a child, times were good. Growing up, opportunities presented themselves as I worked hard for the life I wanted. I got married to someone who knew of the same and we've built a solid foundation for our family.
But I can't help but worry, to the point of having nightmares last night about the America my children are going to see in their lifetime. Okay, actually, last night was not quite a nightmare, but everyone in my dream was discussing the "gross national product" for what seemed to be hours so that is basically a nightmare right?
So when I woke up, I literally had to Google GNP because I wasn't even quite sure of what the gross national product was!!! What does that say about me if I am 1) dreaming about something I can't define 2) dreaming about an acronym 3) dreaming about economics (yuck) 4) worried to the point of dreaming about something ?
I feel like my president has spent trillions of dollars that weren't his to spend and my kids are going to be left to clean up his oil spill. I think my generation in America has no concept of how easily our children and grandchildren could be left in a world to deal with economic, technological, sociocultural and political problems that my generation has created for them by living and consuming in excess of what is ours. We've taken all too often without giving back to this world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
These are scary times.
Dreaming of something you don't what it is is very strange and kind of funny. I think subconsicous is trying to tell you you worry too much.
All will be better soon Michelle, your Milkybar buttons are on their way!!! That will make everything alright!! haha
Mrs. Hix those dreams are common I think. My Dad and grandparents have been having them since the governemnt took the peoples economic power with SS and the kick off of the social program agenda.
I do agree we are digging a hole with these programs that could never and will work though, on that we can surely agree.
And I agree that we are taking more than we are giving back.
the problem we have there is the leaders of the movement are unbelievable. I mean if you are pimp the idea of less consumption then don't own any private jets and live in a 1000 sq ft house or shut up because u hurt the cause. the perception is its snake oil if the head advocate doesn't live like he wants the masses to live.
Those in glass house should not throw stones.
aw, the worries about raising kidlets in this day and age... i know how you feel!
Hayley
I'm going to take your word for it! Maybe I will dream of milky buttons tonight.
Well, personally, I think these problems have always existed in the world... It's just that this is the age of information and awareness.. and awareness implies caution which implies danger.... But that's just what I think..
America.. nobody realizes that they have so much, and yet they take it all for granted.. Well, that includes me... I take my country for granted and it's not until I'm somewhere else that I start missing it...
we should change our world... i know i'm preaching to the converted but someone somewhere has to say STOP! and make everybody listen... maybe i'm just dreaming myself ;)
...this was such a brilliant post!
Kat
I love how you expanded my thoughts...
seabird-victims covered in crude oil spilled out by a histrionic, melodramatic, innane, thoughtless, self-indulgent tanker with the words "Bush Administration" emblazoned on the side.
Beautiful!
I love you!!!!
No country or city is perfect, they all have some sort of problems. Just take one day at a time and enjoy life and all the little things it has to offer you.
XOXOXOXO,
Cocaine Princess
Michelle, I agree with the others' comments, your words are so profound and beautifully written. It is horrible to imagine what is happening to our world at the moment. Our British government has just borrowed another horrific amount of money from other countries... what I can't understand is that it seems every country is borrowing off eachother. Our housing market is starting to slump; our manufacturing industries and our service sectors are being relocated to Eastern countries; our fuel prices are soaring higher and higher, week by week; our food prices are subsequently rising, along with our taxes. And what is it all for? Greed and war......
oh, and trust hayley - Milkybar buttons are the perfect tonic for such a burden... they are so delightful!!!!
It sounds like Milky Bar
Buttons will solve everything........what are they and where can I get some?
I couldn't agree more. Our girls are only four and I worry about the burden we are leaving them.
@anonymous, milkybar buttons are delicious white chocolate buttons that make anything bad go away. We get them in the UK and they are fab!
Very real fears and concerns. The fact that you have to dream about the mess that has been made is sad, but a truth for many people in this country today. We've come so far in nearly 8 years, but all that distance has been in the wrong direction. Let's hope we reverse in November.
I completely agree. Sometimes I wonder about the wildlife that will be extinct when my children become parents or that there may not be snow anymore.
Now, I am over snow this year, but not forever.
Post a Comment