Each year in Taiji Japan, fishermen participate in the annual dolphin slaughter which results in the brutal bloodbath of thousands of dolphins. The hunter boats head out to sea and surround pods of dolphins. Then they bang metal poles placed in the water to disrupt the dolphins' sonar and disorienting them, causing them to swim to the "capture cove". In order to make the dolphin meat more tender, they let the dolphins relax in the netted "capture cove" overnight and then drive them to the "killing cove" where they are brutally speared and their spines are cracked.
Netscape founder Jim Clark and members of the U.S. conservation group Oceanic Preservation Society (OPS), with state-of-the-art technology and financed to the tune of $5 million by Clark, are trying to bring this inhumanity out in the open by producing a feature length film about the annual slaughter. (film due out this summer)
Click Here and Read This First
http://www.savejapandolphins.org/ - Facts and pictures
www.surfersforcetaceans.com - Surfers who respect and protect marine life
www.savethewhalesagain.com – Haydan Panettiere's Campaign
www.mindsinthewater.com – Visual Petition against the slaughter
www.dolphinproject.org – Ric O’barry’s site
4 comments:
Such an emotional post.... I am sat here now, writing this comment with tears rolling down my cheeks. I have a true passion for all animals and it angers me, the way these dolphins and whales are being needlessly slaughtered.
Watching the video clips brought back memories of when I was canoeing through the Amazon Rainforest and wild pink Amazon dolphins would surface along side my canoe and swim beside me. These beautiful creatures deserve so much more respect than they are being given in Japan.....
Why oh why oh why are some people in this world so heartless and cruel?????????????
Thank you so much for posting such an important message xx
Graham
I need to hear more about this coneing trip through the Amazon. Is that on one of your older posts by chance? Pink Amazon Dolphins? I need to see pics! Okay, what does the Amazon Rainforest smell like? Did any snakes slither into your canoe? Did you have a tour guide? Did any bugs bite you? (small phobia of mine) What was your most favorite part of the trip?
Oh and Graham...were you there before the drought? Also, what did you eat while you were there? What was the culture like? What were the native people like? Oh, and did you see the effects of deforestation? Were you in Brazil or another part? hmmm...okay, I know, a lot of questions.
Hey Michelle :) I hope you are having a nice week!
I was in the Brazillian part of the Amazon, as part of a tour I did of Brazil. Here is a link to the post on my blog: http://grahamettridge.blogspot.com/2007/06/amazon-adventure-september-2003.html
Although I didn't write too much about the Amazon at the time of the post (it was one of my very first posts... and wasn't very good...lol!) I will no doubt write another post about it sometime soon. I'll let you know when I do and I'll be sure to answer your questions too.
Post a Comment