Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Wonderful World of Sid and Marty Krofft

Growing up I was obsessed with most of the productions of the whacky and brilliant team of Sid and Marty Krofft. My most favorite of all...Land of The Lost! It was about a father, son and daughter who go camping but then go through a portal that sends them to this new land. It's not the past and it's not the future. There, they camp out in a cave where the dinosaurs can't reach them...it is really their only safe place except for when they are inside the Pylons. The Pylons are these small weird shaped buildings from the outside but when you go in...whoa cool...much larger on the inside...and that is where the time, dimension, and entrance to the Land of the Lost is controlled. But it seems like when they would come out of the Pylon the Sleestaks were always there. Run Holly and Will run! The Sleestaks were bad but thank goodness they were light sensitive and could only stay out of their tunnel for a short period of time. Holly and Will made friends while lost, like Cha-ka...totally cool little cave-man like dude. In the end, production of Land of the Lost was cancelled before Holly and Will could make it home! Man I miss that show! Here's a clip...don't even think about making fun of it...this show was so cool...you don't even know.



So even if you weren't a LOTL fan like me, I promise you that you have been a fan of something that the Krofft's did at some time. They are responsible for really brilliant stuff like HR Pufnstuf...remember? I can still sing that whole song, and actually do sing it regularly to myself! There was a boy who discovers a boat that takes him to a magical island where the mayor is HR Pufnstuf. But Wilhemina Witchiepoo owns the boat. Oh and then there's a flute that the boy plays named Freddie. Wait, here it is...damn, you can't just make this stuff up anymore...



And then remember Sigmond and the Sea Monsters? Please please tell me you've seen it? Two boys playing on the beach near Dead Man's Point...they catch themselves a sea monster and hide him in their special hide-out.



Man, those were the days to watch television...sitting on the floor, eyes glued to the tv on Saturday morning...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Man, those were the days to watch television...sitting on the floor, eyes glued to the tv on Saturday morning... " and then you grew up and went drinking and dancingthe polka, making out, and allthe other stuff so saturday mornings were the two aspirins and watching tv with no sound wondering what you did the night before

Anonymous said...

Um...slightly before my time...but my husband remembers these shows. I was more of the Looney Tunes times. ; )

jeff said...

I'm sorry but the only one I've seen is Puffnstuff and only because my dad rented it claiming it was awesome. Me and my bros and sisters couldn't be more embarrassed of watching that stuff. I remember an updated Land of the Lost while I was a kid back in the 90s. I don't know I guess that's how it always is. My kids will laugh at my favorite tv shows that were on Nickelodeon like Doug and Land of the Hidden Temple and Are You Afraid of the Dark? Anywa this comment is too long.

AngelConradie said...

oh how i miss proper fun kid's tv!

Michelle Hix said...

Kat...Happy anniversary! Where are ya?

Michelle Hix said...

Parking lot boy...what other "stuff"? I was a good girl!

Michelle Hix said...

Ooohh Jen...way to make me feel old!

Michelle Hix said...

Jeff...I know you did not just rip on my shows!

EatPlayLove said...

What was life like before youtube? seriously. How did we manage?

Graham Ettridge said...

I agree with eatplaylove, thank goodness for you-tube. I don't think we got any of those kiddies programmes here in England, so it is great to see them here! They made me smile!