Sunday, November 25, 2007

Family (Not-So-Traditional) Traditions

‘Twas the Sunday after Thanksgiving, still waiting for snow
The kids are stirring so up to the attic we go (and you thought I’d say Costco)
Dad throws down five boxes, each one full of décor
Can we decorate for Xmas without a trip to the hardware store?

Now our tree, as you know, stands 12 feet tall
I’m afraid of heights, afraid I might fall
So up hubby climbs on his really big ladder
Good thing he’s got skills and he’s not any fatter

Unpacking the boxes, I’m excited to see
My old Shrinky Dink ornaments from 1973
There are so many treasures from years long ago
Oh the excitement of Xmas, you never outgrow!

Sixteen circles I danced to fill the tree with light
Red and green festive flashing colors so bright
The ornaments were next as my man contemplates
To place them up top in order as I dictate

But what happened next, I should have expected
Not a care in the world for all the treasures I’ve collected
As my other half barks out military-like commands
I see ornaments flying out of the children’s hands

From 12 feet below to the top where he sat
The smaller kid pitched like he was holding a bat
Ornaments from my childhood go whooshing passed
As I sit in shock, my expression aghast

Chucking each valuable to his hand with no glove
He then places them carefully on the tree with love
This made me feel better knowing the job would get done
Why not let them have a little Xmas non-traditional fun

When all of a sudden my eyes couldn’t believe
She wound up and wound up getting ready to heave
The most precious glass trimming packed in tissue with care
Went twirling and whirling and flying through the air

Look out Dad, here it comes, catch it now
But her arm wasn’t strong enough for his reach to allow
It smacked me in the head before coming back down
She looked at my face, expecting more than a frown

Quit playing around you two, let’s finish the job
My oldest ran for an ice pack as my head started to throb
Before long came the cats, nice but naughty also
Attacking the branches were Sharky and JoJo

But what can we do, they’re having too much fun
Knocking down candy canes and bells, one by one
So we watched and we laughed and enjoyed our night
Then we drank our hot cocoa and plugged in the lights

‘Twas the night that we spent all together us four
Trimming our tree with decorations galore
It wasn’t a chore but more a traditional task
It was a crazy family affair, what more could you ask?

Michelle Hix
2007

1 comment:

Elise said...

I haven't decorated a tree with my family in years...

It sounds like despite the odd mis-haps you had a great time together.

xox

ps: my pics are from google images