My Personal Robot
Showed up at my door
Wearing a bow-tie and trousers
And asked for a chore
I think what I said then was
“I don’t understand!
I asked God for some help
So he sent a hired hand?"
My Robot Confirmed
“Yes indeed, that’s correct”
And would you believe he articulated
Proper English dialect?
Could this really be true?
Is he heavenly sent?
If this is the case
It’s a blessed event!
“Please do come in sir”
I said with a smile
Let us have tea
And chat for a while
Your credentials I’ll need
Resume and references, please
Then he pulled out a note
And said “I have expertise”
The note was addressed to me
I thought it quite odd
As I read, it confirmed
Sincerely and Yours Truly, God
It asked for my trust
And actually said “give him a shot”
Its not every day that I send
My Personal Robot
I folded the note
And kept it abreast
In case I should have to explain
I’ll have proof, I can attest
He wasted no time
He took to the job
Starting with the front door
He polished the knob
I thought “what on earth?”
But then to me it occurred
He’s not from round here
He knows the Good Word
I sat back and watched
As he did his good deed
Though something was missing
What could a robot need?
So I asked him “what’s wrong?
Do you not like to clean?
You don’t have feelings like humans
You’re more like a machine”
To this he exclaimed
“Its true and its sad!
I cannot like or dislike
I don’t feel good or feel bad”
So I grabbed the dust pan
While he used the broom
We tackled dust bunnies
Under the beds in each room
Then off to the bath
Where we spent a great deal of time
Scrubbing and souring
Getting rid of the grime
The kitchen wasn’t bad
Though the stove was some task
He did such a great job
I hope it wasn’t too much to ask
Next to the office
Important paperwork resides
Its was disorganized and messy
But my robot made great strides
“What’s left?” asked my robot
“Is there anything we’ve missed?
Have we hit all the spots?
Is there much on the list?”
“No more” I replied
“Come sit with me here
Let’s have some more tea”
That’s when I noticed the tear
He said “you don’t need me
Its time I must go
I’ve done all I can
And fulfilled my quid pro quo”
“But how can that be,” I said
“I haven’t anything for you”
But then I remembered
What I was attesting to
I took the note from my pocket
And read it again
It said that this robot
Just needed a friend
So I said “don’t be silly,
We’ve only just begun
There’s so much to do
It will be quite fun”
Wiping the tear from his cheek
I could see that he felt
My own personal robot
Made my heart melt
So on every Friday
He shows up and works hard
We clean every room
From the front to the backyard
Then we sit and have tea
We read and we talk
When we get tired of sitting
We go for a walk
Only God knows our needs
And fulfills them each day
Its not up to me
To decide the best way
So if you should ask
For a little help too
Expect nothing less than a miracle
To be sent straight to you
Michelle Hix
2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kat
I don't know if you've read this or not...but what is wrong with me that I am writing about God, a robot, and housecleaning all at the same time? Do you think I should separate the three? This is what I mean about having too many things in my head at once. My brain can't seem to do that!
Post a Comment