Sunshine left the earth today
Raindrops hit the ground
Running to hide
From the storm outside
I swear I nearly drowned
The screen door slammed and Ma looked up
She’d said it one too many
Don’t slam that door!
Mop up the floor!
Brains! Girl do you have any?
When weather is uncooperative
The icy cold wind blows
A better way
To spend my day
My secret no one knows
So up the attic stairs I climb
A creak at every tread
Don’t look up
Don’t look down
I close my eyes instead
The ninth plank down and six across
I think it’s that one there
I lift her carefully
From her box
And caress her golden hair
Hello Ms. Marilla Saffron Bean
Has your waiting been drawn-out?
I’ve missed your smile
And conversation
I’m sad I’ve been without
What’s that you say? A cup of tea?
Oh, thank you I’d love some
I’ve brought some scones
And clotted cream
Careful not to leave a crumb
Oh no, oh dear I hear her now
Its mother in an uproar
Goodbye my friend
You have to go
Back underneath the floor
But I solemnly vow as your best friend
To come back soon again
I pinkie swear
Even cross my heart
The weatherman’s calling for more rain
Michelle Hix
2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It sounds so sad...
I think alot of children have a special toy that they confide in when they get upset of sad.
I had a teddy bear when I was a child. I used to blame him when my room got messy, I don't think my mum believed me. x
Post a Comment